11 September, 2009

When I grow up...

Here are (in no particular order) the things that I am thinking of being when I grow up.

*General pediatrician - I like kids. They are fun to care for.
*Pediatric palliative care doctor - I like kids, families, comfort care, and counseling. Also, I have an "in" at one of the fellowship sites.
*Palliative care doc - this is the non-pediatric form. I like it for pretty much the same reasons as the pediatric form.
*Physical medicine and rehab - helping people regain function is awesome.
*Child psychiatry - this is actually the thing that set me on this long, circuitous path in the first place; I took general psych when I was 16 years old, loved it, wanted to do more and go to medical school, and very shortly thereafter convinced myself that I wasn't smart enough to do so. Then, five years later, I took a neuroscience course that made me realize that although I might not be smart enough, I am determined enough.
*Neurology - I like brains. They're fun. I like puzzles. They're fun.

Basically, I like the notion of comfort in medicine. This is what I get from this. With the exception of just being a general pediatrician, all of these options would require either a 3 year residency and a fellowship (usually 1-2 years) or a 4 year residency (PM&R, combined peds-psych, combined peds-internal meds) or both.

Yikes.

1 comment:

OMDG said...

Get used to it. 3-4 years residency + 2-3 years fellowship is the norm for pretty much anyone these days except those who want to do primary care (who do slightly less) and those who want to do surgery (who do shit loads more.

I know for my part that I wanted to vomit when I really came to terms with how much training I was about to subject myself to. It's best not to think about these things in too much detail lest you begin to drown in despair.