20 November, 2009

I've been called a gunner a few times this week. "Gunner" for those not in the know, is a word used in medical schools to describe very driven students, often in a negative light. In my mind, at least, "gunner" connotes a negative sentiment.

I also feel like I'm the least gunner like person I know. Yeah, I'm trying to do my best in medical school, but I would never sabotage my classmates. I also pretty much don't care how I do in my classes anymore, so long as I pass the courses. I've also started casually studying for boards, which is apparently quite weird. I think it makes sense to study as we go through the courses; I've purchased a few books and I'm working through them along with my courses. We'll see what happens with this.

I just don't feel like a gunner. My classmates probably meant this in more of a complimentary way than I'm thinking...at least I hope so...

2 comments:

Emily said...

Aw, Katie, I definitely don't think you're a gunner. I'm not sure that many people in our class even have a concept of what a gunner is, since there really aren't many people (or any?) in our class that I'd consider dubbing as such.

I think the board situation is going to be completely different for each person. I've been taking tons and tons of notes in my USMLE book and using it to study for system exams, but I guess that it's kind of simultaneously studying for boards, too. I guess that we can be "gunners" together.

OMDG said...

Gunner is never complimentary. That being said, most people who use the term are just jealous, small individuals, and it probably isn't a real reflection of who you are or what you do.

Case in point: Do you speak in class? Get good grades? Congratulations, that means you are engaged and doing a good job. It doesn't mean you're a gunner.

I think studying ahead for the boards is a great idea (high yield = memorization of first aid). You go get 'em!