28 July, 2008

Miscellaneous

Husband and I are now officially broke. Until my loans come in, that is. Then, we're living off of future money. That actually freaks me out more than being broke. Maybe it shouldn't. All I know is that when husband sat down to pay the bills, there wasn't a whole lot left. We're used to there being an "oh shit" buffer and it's just not there. We can rebuild it, but it's scary.

Orientation and classes start next week. I'm apprehensive and excited. It should be quite a journey. My main concern, though, isn't the material (yet). It's that orientation apparently comes along with a dress code of business casual. I've worked in the non profit world for a year and a half, and prior to that, I was in college. I have no idea what business casual means, but it sure better involve khaki pants and maybe some sort of blouse thing or else I'm screwed. I don't even know if I still have the blouse thing. I'd really like to be able to show up in a tank top and my capris, but both my capris and tank tops are borderline...gross looking. Most of my tee-shirts are those cheap knit things from Old Navy or involve comic book characters or jokes (and in one rare instance, both!). Clearly, in a few years, I will be an excellent candidate for What Not to Wear on TLC. Pretty much the only dressy things I own are the suit I wore for med school interviews (hot, right?) and the bridesmaid dress I wore for my sister-in-law's wedding this past May. Admittedly, the dress is actually wearable and the suit makes me look a little like K.D. Lang, so it's not a complete wash. Unless, of course, you don't like K.D. Lang.

I know that I'll have to, eventually, get used to dressing in a non-schleppy manner, but I was hoping to put it off for a few years, so I could pick a specialty wherein I could wear scrubs all of the time. Also, I was hoping not to have to acquire decent clothes as we're, y'know, broke.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about the dressy thing. For my practicum/hours in a classroom I have to dress like a teacher. This does not apparently include black t-shirts, which is unfortunately what my entire wardrobe consists of. I now buy a "sweater o' the week" at Shopko on the clearance rack so that I eventually will have more than three tops to wear (and also, they're cheap there!)

I feel your pain.

Recovering Hippie said...

What, exactly, does a teacher dress like, anyway? That's so vague. I've had teachers wear pant suits and teachers wear sweats. Seriously, what does "dress like a teacher" mean?

Crazy people. We should all wear jeans/khakis.

Alli said...

I hear your pain <3 Almost switched HBM because I didn't want to have to dress 'professionally' for every stinking function that was put on...or every presentation...Good will is also a great place to find good looking business 'casual' stuff. Along the lines of business cas...Kayla and I and a bunch of the girls went to a rotary club meeting that they invited the freshmen to...there was one person who literally showed up in grey sweats and a bright orange sweatshirt -.-

Anonymous said...

Well, high school teachers can get away with jeans usually, and sometimes even t-shirts. But, elementary teachers, especially younger women really have to dress more professionally. And it's not really even for the kids, but for their parents. Unless you're in a skirt or dress slacks w/sweater/nice blouse they have a tendancy not to take you seriously as a 20-something unmarried/unbechilded woman. It kinda sucks.