31 July, 2008

Strangest Date I've Ever Had

In a week, I have a date, of sorts. I will meet a person who will be very important to me for the next few months. We've never met before; in fact, that's generally the way you want it. On our first meeting, they will be naked, although I may not see all of them at once. This person, who I have never met before, is giving me a gift.

They are my cadaver. At some point during their life, they decided that donating their body to my school after their death was the right thing for them. They didn't have to do it, no one forced them to (this does supposedly happen in other countries). They have no assurance that I will treat their gift with respect (I will).

It is very humbling to receive such an intimate gift from a complete stranger. My aunt, who went to medical school at age 30, still remembers her cadaver. She says that she loved him, that she thinks of him every day. I don't know if I'll think of them every day for the rest of my life, but I do think I will develop a deep appreciation for the gift they're giving me.

I wonder if this person will be watching, from wherever they are now. I think that bodies are just containers, albeit containers that we get very attached to for about eighty years, plus or minus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read the book "Stiff" by Mary Roach (I'm assuming you have, since you're reading "Spook")? I really like the way she talks about going to the cadaver labs. It actually made me really want ot donate my body to science (I know that sounds like a cliche, but it's true). I've always been and organ donor, but I didn't know what to do with the rest of my body, and now I do. I'll give it you people like you to play/learn with.

Recovering Hippie said...

I have actually not read "Stiff." My aunt is reading it and is then going to send it to me. I'm very excited.

Yeah, I've always been an organ donor too...I'll probably wind up donating my body to science too...good times.