06 September, 2008

Sleep deprivation

This week has been, and will be, an exercise in sleep deprivation. The goal is to sleep just enough to function properly and learn things but not so much as to lose a lot of time to it. Time spent sleeping is valuable and could be used to study. Granted, I have been sleeping about six hours a night, which isn't horrible. It's also not good. I'm a gal that likes massive amounts of sleep, usually like eight or ten hours.

Oh, next week is exam week. That may help explain things. I have a block exam on Friday, Sept. 12th. Prior to that, I have an OPP practical exam on Tuesday, a Histology lab exam on Wednesday, and an Anatomy lab exam on Thursday. It sounds like a lot, and it is. There's a lot to know, although I feel pretty ok about OPP. OPP is a very active class. You are doing things to patients, like soft tissue manipulation and range of motion exams. As such, it's a little easier to learn this stuff. Anatomy is less active, but you can kind of multi-task in the lab by studying for the practical portion and then making sure you think about stuff that might come up in the written. This can be done in Histology too, so as far as those classes go, I feel ok.

Physiology is just a more in-depth version of the physio and cell bio classes I took in undergrad. I can spend some time with the notes, internet, and book and get it.

Embryology is horrible. I mean, it's interesting. It's just so complicated. Once you get to like day nine or ten, it's completely obtuse and you have to have a really good sense of what happens visually, since there's so much folding around that occurs.

Tomorrow, we welcome tropical storm Hannah to the northeast.

1 comment:

OMDG said...

Honey! There is no reason to deprive yourself of sleep during the first years of med school! Don't listen to your classmates! Get your 8-10 hours! Trust me, your brain will retain more and you'll be a lot happier.

Good Luck!